Preservation of the natural dentition has always been the ultimate goal in dentistry. Traumatic injuries often result in damage to developing permanent teeth that compromises the long-term prognosis and presents unique treatment challenges to the clinician. Treatment generally necessitates emergent and follow-up care that is often multidisciplinary.
Contemporary research has led to scientific advances that provide a better understanding of new treatment modalities that enhance the prognosis of teeth with traumatic injuries. Technologic developments have improved diagnostic and therapeutic techniques that include apical barriers, revascularization/regeneration, ridge preservation, decoronation, orthodontic extrusion and root fortification. These treatment approaches have proven to be highly beneficial for patients with dental trauma.
The AAE and the AAPD are excited to present a collaborative multidisciplinary conference to highlight new and emerging treatment options for traumatic injuries using an evidence-based approach. The program speakers will include nationally and internationally recognized clinicians and scientists from both specialties, providing a unique educational opportunity in identifying the best dental practices and emerging treatment concepts.
At the conclusion of this symposium, the participants will be able to:
- Identify the types, etiology, and epidemiology of traumatic injuries that occur to the dentition.
- Identify methods of preventing damage to the permanent dentition in trauma injuries.
- Discuss the rapid physical assessment of an injured child and related management techniques.
- Describe the purpose and use of the International Association of Dental Traumatology Guidelines.
- Discuss diagnostic methods used in traumatic injuries and their interpretation.
- Describe the use of three-dimensional dental imaging in diagnosis.
- Discuss the management and treatment options for the tooth with immature root formation.
- Define regeneration and revascularization and describe the indications and treatment procedures required for success.
- Discuss the indications for and the concepts of ridge preservation and decoronation in traumatic injuries.
- Discuss the indications and criteria for orthodontic root extrusion.
- Describe restorative techniques for teeth subjected to dental trauma.
- Discuss treatment outcomes of previously traumatized permanent teeth in children.