Founded in 1956, the ABE is the only certifying board for the specialty of endodontics and is one of the nine specialty boards recognized by the American Dental Association. The ABE is sponsored by the American Association of Endodontists.
The goals of the American Board of Endodontics are to:
- Fulfill the guidelines established by the American Dental Association regarding recognized dental specialties.
- Advance the specialty practice of endodontics and enhance oral health care for the public.
- Maintain the high standards of excellence in the specialty of endodontics.
- Determine the level of competency of applicants.
- Certify and publicly recognize those who have demonstrated exceptional knowledge and technical skill in the specialty of endodontics and have met the standards established by the Board.
- Furnish the health professions and the public with a directory of endodontists certified and in good standing with the Board.
- Provide expert consultation to the medical and dental professions.