Tough cases don't have to mean extracted teeth. Many endodontic treatments can save the natural tooth for a lifetime! The AAE's Treatment Options for the Compromised Tooth: A Decision Guide helps you evaluate a variety of conditions using:
- Case examples with radiographs and clinical photographs
- Clinical considerations
- Guidance for successful outcomes based on prognosis
The full-color Guide includes more than 100 images demonstrating successful endodontic treatment in difficult clinical situations. Use the Guide to assess all possible endodontic treatment options before recommending extraction of the natural tooth, and consult with your endodontist partner to develop treatment plans that could save the natural dentition.
Under the ADA's Principles of Ethics and Code of Professional Conduct, dentists should present all treatment options to their patients and communicate fully and truthfully. Exploring all treatment options and consulting with or referring to a specialist protects the patient’s health and welfare, as well as the dentist’s reputation.
Looking for additional educational resources?
- Browse the patient information section on treatments and procedures.
- Review the Your Guide to Treatment Options for the Diseased Tooth patient education brochure and purchase copies from the AAE online store.
- Read this Ethical Moment case study in the JADA for an example of ethical treatment planning and decision making.