Regenerative endodontics is one of the most exciting developments in dentistry today and endodontists are at the forefront of this cutting-edge research.
Regenerative endodontics uses the concept of tissue engineering to restore the root canals to a healthy state, allowing for continued development of the root and surrounding tissue. Endodontists’ knowledge in the fields of pulp biology, dental trauma, and tissue engineering can be applied to deliver biologically based regenerative endodontic treatment of necrotic immature permanent teeth resulting in continued root development, increased thickness in the dentinal walls and apical closure. These developments in the regeneration of a functional pulp-dentin complex have a promising impact on efforts to retain the natural dentition, the ultimate goal of endodontic treatment.
If you're performing regenerative endodontic procedures, please report them in the AAE Regenerative Database to establish a best practice for treatment and future research.
The AAE recognizes the tremendous future potential in regenerative endodontics and has made the cultivation of endodontic leadership in this field a strategic priority.
The AAE and Foundation for Endodontics have:
- Hosted Ask Me Anything: Regenerative Endodontic Procedures, Practice Challenges on AAE Connection for members to consult directly with endodontists with regenerative expertise (member login required)
- Created a podcast focused on the topic of Regenerative Endodontics on the AAE's own podcast, Endo Voices, Reg End Then and Now - Ep. 29
- Successfully proposed revisions to the Accreditation Standards for Advanced Specialty Education Programs in Endodontics to include revascularization/regenerative endodontics as required curriculum
- Invested $2.5 million in a multi-year grant from the AAE Foundation to support clinical research in regeneration.
- Introduced a new code to report pulpal regeneration procedures as part of the 2011-2012 ADA Current Dental Terminology.
- Published a position stating regenerative endodontics is within the scope of practice of endodontics.
- Provided a solid introduction to the biological basis of regenerative endodontic procedures, clinical considerations, outcomes and potential future impact of this new area of dentistry in ENDODONTICS: Colleagues for Excellence newsletter, Regenerative Endodontics.
- Developed Clinical Considerations for Regenerative Procedures.