Nominations for the JOE Award are open!
Nominations should consist of a letter of recommendation indicating the nomination category and expressing how the nominated paper meets the criteria. Please include the article title and publication date with your nomination. The authors of the winning paper in each category will be recognized at the AAE annual meeting and in a future issue of the JOE. The Editorial Board Committee encourages you to submit your nominations by December 31, 2022, to:
Dr. Kenneth M. Hargreaves, JOE Editor
Awards are available in the following categories:
Basic Science: Biology
Basic Science: Technology
Case Reports/Clinical Techniques
Narrative Reviews (NEW category!)
Systematic and Scoping Reviews
Papers eligible for the award are those that represent significant advances in endodontics and adhere to the principles of the scientific method. Position papers and editorials are not considered for this award. Papers are judged based upon:
• Scientific merit and broad impact on dental research
• Relevance to endodontics
• Originality of research objectives and/or ideas presented
• Creativity of study design or uniqueness of approaches and concepts
• Validity of statistical and/or epidemiological methods
• Clarity of presentation
The JOE Publication Awards are presented to authors of published papers in the Journal of Endodontics that represent innovative thought and significant advances in the endodontic field. The JOE Publication Awards are presented annually at the Scientific Advisory Board Reception during the AAE annual meeting.
The AAE proudly recognizes JOE Publication Award recipients and continues the tradition of honoring the achievements and contributions of these individuals to the specialty of endodontics.
Publication Award Criteria
- Paper must have been published within the last calendar year.
- Papers must adhere to the principles of the scientific method. Position papers and editorials are not considered for this award.
- Papers may be nominated by any member of the AAE who is not an author of the paper and who was not affiliated with the institution of the corresponding author at the time of submission of the paper.
- Nominations must include a letter of nomination indicating for which of the above-mentioned categories the paper is being nominated, and expressing how the nominated paper meets the criteria. Please include the article title and publication date with your nomination.
latest Award Recipients
Basic Research: Biology
C. Le Fournis, C. Jeanneau, T. Giraud, I. El Karim, F. T. Lundy and I. About. Fibroblasts Control Macrophage Differentiation during Pulp Inflammation. Journal 2021;47:1427-1434.
Basic Research: Technology
A. A. Sherwood, A. I. Sherwood, F. C. Setzer, S. D. K, J. V. Shamili, C. John and F. Schwendicke. A Deep Learning Approach to Segment and Classify C-Shaped Canal Morphologies in Mandibular Second Molars Using Cone-beam Computed Tomography. Journal 2021;47:1907-1916.
B. Koli, A. Chawla, A. Logani, V. Kumar and S. Sharma. Combination of Nonsurgical Endodontic and Vital Pulp Therapy for Management of Mature Permanent Mandibular Molar Teeth with Symptomatic Irreversible Pulpitis and Apical Periodontitis. Journal 2021;47:374-381.
Case Reports and Clinical Techniques
N. Suresh, H. J. Subbarao, V. Natanasabapathy and A. Kishen. Maxillary Anterior Teeth With Extensive Root Resorption Treated With Low-level Light-activated Engineered Chitosan Nanoparticles. Journal 2021;47:1182-1190.
N. Meschi, M. EzEldeen, A. E. T. Garcia, P. Lahoud, G. Van Gorp, W. Coucke, R. Jacobs, K. Vandamme, W. Teughels and P. Lambrechts. Regenerative Endodontic Procedure of Immature Permanent Teeth with Leukocyte and Platelet-rich Fibrin: A Multicenter Controlled Clinical Trial. Journal 2021;47:1729-1750.
Systematic and Scoping Reviews
M. Sabeti, Y. Huang, Y. J. Chung and A. Azarpazhooh. Prognosis of Vital Pulp Therapy on Permanent Dentition: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. Journal 2021;47:1683-1695.
- Basic Research: Biology
- Basic Research: Technology
- Case Reports/Clinical Techniques
- Clinical Research
- Narrative Reviews
- Regenerative Endodontics
- Systematic and Scoping Reviews
Categories may not have finalist papers if the nominated articles do not meet the judges’ criteria.
- Scientific merit and broad impact on dental research.
- Relevance to endodontics.
- Originality of research objectives and/or ideas presented.
- Creativity of study design or uniqueness of approaches and concepts.
- Validity of statistical and/or epidemiological methods.
- Clarity of presentation.