Nominations are officially open for the JOE Award! Recognize the best papers published in the 2021 calendar year.
Nominations should consist of a letter of recommendation indicating the nomination category and expressing how the nominated paper meets the criteria. Please include the article title and publication date with your nomination. The authors of the winning paper in each category will be recognized at the AAE annual meeting and in a future issue of the JOE. The Editorial Board Committee encourages you to submit your nominations by December 31, 2021, to:
Dr. Kenneth M. Hargreaves, JOE Editor
Awards are available in the following categories:
Basic Science: Biology
Basic Science: Technology
Case Reports/Clinical Techniques
Systematic and Scoping Reviews
Papers eligible for the award are those that represent significant advances in endodontics and adhere to the principles of the scientific method. Position papers and editorials are not considered for this award. Papers are judged based upon:
• Scientific merit and broad impact on dental research
• Relevance to endodontics
• Originality of research objectives and/or ideas presented
• Creativity of study design or uniqueness of approaches and concepts
• Validity of statistical and/or epidemiological methods
• Clarity of presentation
The JOE Publication Awards are presented to authors of published papers in the Journal of Endodontics that represent innovative thought and significant advances in the endodontic field. The JOE Publication Awards are presented annually at the Scientific Advisory Board Reception during the AAE annual meeting.
The AAE proudly recognizes JOE Publication Award recipients and continues the tradition of honoring the achievements and contributions of these individuals to the specialty of endodontics.
Publication Award Criteria
- Paper must have been published within the last calendar year.
- Papers must adhere to the principles of the scientific method. Position papers, narrative reviews and editorials are not considered for this award.
- Papers may be nominated by any member of the AAE who is not an author of the paper and who was not affiliated with the institution of the corresponding author at the time of submission of the paper.
- Nominations must include a letter of nomination indicating for which of the above-mentioned categories the paper is being nominated, and expressing how the nominated paper meets the criteria. Please include the article title and publication date with your nomination.
Basic Research: Biology: Ana Cristina Andrada, D.D.S., DMSc; Mariane Maffei Azuma, D.D.S., Ph.D.; Hisako Furusho, D.D.S., Ph.D.; Kimito Hirai, D.D.S., Ph.D.; Shuang Xu, BA, M.S.; Robert R. White, DMD; and Hajime Sasaki, D.D.S., Ph.D. (2020). “Immunomodulation Mediated by Azithromycin in Experimental Periapical Inflammation.” J Endod. 2020 Aug 5:S0099-2399(20)30574-4. doi: 10.1016/j.joen.2020.07.028. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32763436
Basic Research: Technology: Fang-Chi Li, D.D.S., Ph.D.; Eric Nicholson, BEng; Chandra Veer Singh, BEng, Ph.D.; Anil Kishen, BDS, MDS, Ph.D. (2020). “Microtissue Engineering Root Dentin with Photodynamically Cross-linked Nanoparticles Improves Fatigue Resistance of Endodontically Treated Teeth.” J Endod 46(5): 668-674.
Case Reports/Clinical Techniques
Ernest Lucas-Taulé, D.D.S., MSc; Marc Llaquet, D.D.S., MSc; Jesús Muñoz-Peñalver, D.D.S.; Jacobo Somoza, D.D.S.; Marta Satorres-Nieto, D.D.S., MSc, Ph.D.; Federico Hernández-Alfaro, M.D., D.D.S., Ph.D. (2020). “Fully Guided Tooth Autotransplantation Using a Multidrilling Axis Surgical Stent: Proof of Concept.” J Endod 46(10): 1515-1521.
Ahmed A. Alelyani, BDS, FRCD(C); Pardis S. Azar, D.D.S.; Asma A. Khan, BDS, Ph.D.; Vanessa Chrepa, D.D.S., M.S.; Anibal Diogenes, D.D.S., MS, Ph.D. (2020). “Quantitative Assessment of Mechanical Allodynia and Central Sensitization in Endodontic Patients.” J Endod 46(12): 1841-1848.
Noha Mohamed El-Kateb, BDS, MSc, Ph.D.; Rania Noaman El-Backly, BDS, MSc, Ph.D.; Wessam Mohamed Amin, BDS, MSc, Ph.D.; Amr Mohamed Abdalla, BDS, MSc, Ph.D. (2020). “Quantitative Assessment of Intracanal Regenerated Tissues after Regenerative Endodontic Procedures in Mature Teeth Using Magnetic Resonance Imaging: A Randomized Controlled Clinical Trial.” J Endod 46(5): 563-574.
Systematic or Scoping Reviews
Maryam Zanjir, D.D.S.; Adam Sgro, HBSc; Nima Laghapour Lighvan, HBSc; Prakesh S. Shah, MSc, MBBS, MD, DCH, MRCP, FRCPC; Bruno R. da Costa, BScPT, MScPT, MScMedStat, Ph.D.; Amir Azarpazhooh, D.D.S., MSc, Ph.D., FRCD(C). (2020). “Efficacy and Safety of Postoperative Medications in Reducing Pain after Nonsurgical Endodontic Treatment: A Systematic Review and Network Meta-analysis.” J Endod 46(10): 1387-1402 e1384.
- Basic Research: Biology
- Basic Research: Technology
- Case Reports/Clinical Techniques
- Clinical Research
- Regenerative Endodontics
- Systematic and Scoping Reviews
Categories may not have finalist papers if the nominated articles do not meet the judges’ criteria.
- Scientific merit and broad impact on dental research.
- Relevance to endodontics.
- Originality of research objectives and/or ideas presented.
- Creativity of study design or uniqueness of approaches and concepts.
- Validity of statistical and/or epidemiological methods.
- Clarity of presentation.