TAKE ACTION ON MEDICARE DENTAL BENEFITS:
Take Action! Urge Lawmakers to Oppose the Expansion of Medicare Part B
Recently, Congress advanced a budget resolution to include dental care, vision, and hearing in Part B of the Medicare program.
The proposal lumps dental care in Medicare Part B and places such care in a physician-focused model that doesn’t take into consideration the differences between physician offices and dental offices. Including dental care in Part B also places undue burden on dentists by requiring them to comply with regulations designed for the medical care system. Significant administrative, technical and programmatic requirements and inadequate reimbursement would likely deter dentists from joining a network based on this model.
As the bill works its way through the legislative process, endodontists need to make their voices heard to ensure the proposal includes specific framework for how the new benefits consider endodontists and the low-income seniors they treat.
Contact your lawmakers today and urge them to create a new part of Medicare that will better serve dentists and their patients.
Take Action on Redi Act:
Urge your members of Congress to support H.R. 4122, The Resident Education Deferred Interest (REDI) Act
The U.S. House is reconsidering a measure to amend the Higher Education Act of 1965 to provide for interest-free deferment on student loans for borrowers serving in a medical or dental internship or residency program.
Take Action on PPE:
Urge Your Governor to Recognize Endodontists as Essential Emergency Healthcare Providers
The American Association of Endodontists (AAE) urges your Department of Health to recognize endodontists as essential emergency health care providers for distribution of necessary N95 masks and other personal protective equipment (PPE), for the following reasons:
- Endodontists treat dental emergencies that become life-threatening if untreated;
- Endodontists engage in emergency care in high aerosol environments; and
- Endodontists mitigate the burden on medical and hospital emergency departments.
Take Action on COVID-19 Aid:
Urge Congress to Support Endodontists In COVID-19 Relief Packages
The American Association of Endodontists (AAE) Urges members to contact Congress and urge them to support endodontists in the next COVID-19 relief package of legislation.
- Accelerate the production and distribution of PPE, especially N95 masks, to endodontists who are on the frontlines treating dental emergencies and helping to mitigate overwhelming hospital systems with oral health issues.
- Provide relief for practitioners whose business interruption insurance does not cover viral pandemics.
- Allow for use of PPP funds to purchase PPE and make safety improvements to endodontic offices.
- Provide liability protections for providers who administer FDA-authorized COVID-19 diagnostic tests within their scope of practice until the end of 2020.
Key Issues for AAE Advocacy
Reimbursement - Insurance and Coding
The AAE believes all patients deserve access to quality, affordable dental benefit coverage, and it is dedicated to working with policymakers, regulatory bodies, and other stakeholders to increase access and improve the way dental care is financed and managed.
- Dental Claims and Coding
- Dental Plan Contracting
- Dental Plans & Government Outreach
- Access to Care
- Other Resources
Excellence in Endodontics
To ensure that patients get the best possible care, the AAE promotes endodontic competency, and a single standard of practice implemented by practitioners. This includes ensuring that both new pre-doc graduates and experienced general dentists understand their own abilities and when to refer for the best interest of the patient.
- Endodontic Competency White Paper
- Treatment Standards White Paper
- Case Difficulty Assessment Form (CDAF) and Guidelines
- Guide to Clinical Endodontics
- Colleagues for Excellence
Specialty Rights - Status and Scope
The AAE fights to support the value that the advanced education and experience of an endodontist brings to patient care. In that vein, the AAE fights to protect patients from providers that misrepresent themselves as specialists or lack the proper credentialing.
The AAE supports the ability of all endodontists – regardless of practice type – to practice competitively and for the best interest of patients.
- Practice Ownership is Declining
- How Big Are Dental Service Organizations?
- Professional Staff Resources
The AAE recognizes the burden that student debt can play in the ability of new graduates to make practice decisions, including the ability to practice in underserved areas. It fights for responsible student loan reform and student debt relief.
Guardians of Public Oral Health
The AAE champions policies that promote good oral health, access to quality affordable care and works to enable endodontists to achieve the best patient outcomes. We support for the Responsible Additions and Increases to Sustain Employee (RAISE) Health Benefits Act of 2019. Flexible spending accounts (FSAs) allow consumers to set aside pretax dollars to pay for healthcare services like dental.
- Root Canal Safety
- Save Your Tooth Month
- Treating Acute Pain
- Opioid Prescribing by Dentists
- Vaping/E-cigarettes and other tobacco products
AAE Position Statements
The AAE offers a variety of clinical resources including publications, guidelines, position statements and treatment planning resources reflecting the latest research, techniques and technologies in endodontics. These tools and statements are valuable references to support the highest standards of patient care.