Bioceramics Within Endodontics: How Far Have We Come? – Ep. 14
This episode of Endo Voices features an engaging clinical researcher showcasing bioceramics use within endodontics. Dr. Meetu Kohli, clinical associate professor at University of Pennsylvania and director of the Continuing Education & International Scholar Program, passionately discusses the evolution of bioceramic materials over time through a timetable of precision and compelling evidence.
Since the introduction of mineral trioxide aggregate (MTA), endodontics has shown more predictable clinical successes through in vivo applications such as perforation repairs, retro-fills, and management of immature apices. We weave the conversation through the pros and cons of various bioceramic materials on the market today and get into the real science of what is meant by the buzzwords “bio-compatibility” and “bio-activity”. The practice philosophy of sealer based obturation gives way to a friendly debate as we touch base on optimum time for filling canals based on principles of biochemistry, micro-hardness and handling properties. Take a journey through time and really get to know the ever-evolving world of bioceramics.
Episodes of Endo Voices may include opinion, speculation and other statements not verifiable in the scientific method and do not necessarily reflect the views of AAE or the sponsor(s). Listeners should use their best judgment in evaluating the merits of any content.
- Healing after Root-end Microsurgery by Using Mineral Trioxide Aggregate and a New Calcium Silicate–based Bioceramic Material as Root-end Filling Materials in Dogs, Ian Chen, DDS, MS, Bekir Karabucak, DMD, MS, CongWang, DDS, Han-GuoWang, DDS, PhD, Eiki Koyama, DDS, PhD, Meetu R. Kohli, BDS, DMD, Hyun-Duck Nah, DMD, PhD, and Syngcuk Kim, DDS, PhD, JOE — Volume 41, Number 3, March 2015
- Outcome of Endodontic Microsurgery Using Mineral Trioxide Aggregate or Root Repair Material as Root-end Filling Material: A Randomized Controlled Trial with Cone-beam Computed Tomographic Evaluation, Chafic Safi, DMD, MS, Meetu R. Kohli, BDS, DMD, Samuel I. Kratchman, DMD, Frank C. Setzer, DMD, PhD, MS, and Bekir Karabucak, DMD, MS, JOE Volume 45, Number 7, July 2019
- Clinical Outcome of Non-Surgical Root CanalTreatment Using a Single-cone Technique with Endosequence Bioceramic Sealer: A Retrospective Analysis, Elizabeth A. Chybowski, DDS, Gerald N. Glickman, DDS, MS, Yogesh Patel, DDS, Alex Fleury, DDS, MS, Eric Solomon, DDS, MS, and Jianing He, DMD, PhD, JOE — Volume 44, Number 6, June 2018
- The Effect of Acidity on Dislodgment Resistance of Mineral Trioxide Aggregate and Bioaggregate in Furcation Perforations: An In Vitro Comparative Study, Ahmed Abdel Rahman Hashem, BDS, MSc, PhD, and Suzan AbdulWanees Amin, BDS, MSc, JOE — Volume 38, Number 2, February 2012
- pH of pus collected from periapical abscesses M. H. Nekoofar1,2,3, M. S. Namazikhah3,4, M. S. Sheykhrezae1, M. M. Mohammadi, A. Kazemi, Z. Aseeley & P. M. H. Dummer, International Endodontic Journal, 42, 534–538, 2009
- In Situ Assessment of the Setting of Tricalcium Silicate–based Sealers Using a Dentin Pressure Model, Maria Xuereb, BChD, MSc, Paul Vella, BSc (Hons), Denis Damidot, PhD, HDR, Charles V. Sammut, BA (Educ), BSc (Hons), PhD, CPhys, M Inst P, M IEEE, M ICOH, and Josette Camilleri, BChD, MPhil, PhD, FADM, FIMMM, JOE — Volume 41, Number 1, January 2015