Restorative Endodontics: Discussing the Why, the How and the Of Course – Ep. 001
In our first episode of Endo Voices, we take a deep dive into the practices and philosophy of restorative endodontics, highlighting the restorative dynamic and its significance within endodontics. We sit down with well-respected and influential endodontic superstars, Drs. Marga Ree and Rick Schwartz, both possessing years of experience as restorative dentists before committing to careers in endodontics.
This discussion emphasizes the importance of having in-depth knowledge of restorative dentistry and offers tips for transitioning your practice to effectively manage and restore endodontically treated cases. We tackle restoration on children and trauma patients, as well as post-placement in small accesses and fiber posts. The age-old question of amalgam and its utility draws on varying viewpoints, underscored by broader conversation on products and materials. This episode goes beyond the clinical, delving into proper communication and relationship building with general practitioners. The underlying theme of relationships and humanity undoubtedly resonates throughout, and there are plenty of poignant takeaways to nurture and maintain referral relationships in the spotlight of full-service endodontics.
Episodes of Endo Voices may include opinion, speculation and other statements not verifiable in the scientific method and do not necessarily reflect the views of AAE or the sponsor(s). Listeners should use their best judgment in evaluating the merits of any content.
- Schwartz, Richard S. ENDODONTICCS: Colleagues for Excellence. Restoration of the endodontically treated tooth. 2004.
- Fundamentals of Operative Dentistry. Quintessence Publishing Co.
- Ree, Marga H., Schwartz, Richard S. Long-term Success of Nonvital, Immature Permanent Incisors Treated With a Mineral Trioxide Aggregate Plug and Adhesive Restorations: A Case Series from a Private Endodontic Practice. J Endod 2017; 43:1370–1377.
- Ray HA, Trope. Int Endod J. Periapical status of endodontically treated teeth in relation to the technical quality of the root filling and the coronal restoration. 1995; 28(1):12-8.
- Figueiredo FE, Martins-Filho PR, Faria-E-Silva AL. Do metal post-retained restorations result in more root fractures than fiber post-retained restorations? A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Endod. 2015;41(3):309-16.
- Ree, Marga H., Schwartz, Richard S. The Endo-Restorative Interface: Current Concepts Marga. Dent Clin N Am 2010; 54:345–374.