Updated aPRIL 8, 2020
Stay tuned to this webpage for ongoing updates to the ever-evolving COVID-19 pandemic.
From the AAE:
- NEW (April 8): Learn More About PPE for Endodontists and Take Action
- NEW: Mark Your Calendar for an AAE COVID-19 Webinar Featuring Dr. Ken M. Hargreaves on April 13!
- NEW: Dentistry Today Q&A: COVID-19 Treatment With AAE President Dr. Keith V. Krell
- Courtesy of the Healthcare Infection Society and its Journal of Hospital Infection, the AAE is able to share this extensive review article. (Kampf G, Todt D, Pfaender S, Steinmann E. Persistence of coronaviruses on inanimate surfaces and its inactivation with biocidal agents. J Hosp Infect 2020;104:246–51.doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2020.01.022)
- Characteristics of Endodontic Emergencies during COVID-19 Outbreak in Wuhan
- AAE Sends Letter to Governors and State Health Officials on Behalf of Members
- Statement on Considerations for Care
- Statement to the Public and Patients
- Have a Dental Emergency? Go to Endodontist, Not to Emergency Room or Urgent Care
AAE Coronavirus Weekly Briefing
COVID-19: Implications for Dental Care
If pharmacotherapy is insufficient, a recent review co-authored by Dr. Ken M. Hargreaves summarizes considerations for appropriate dental care. The article covers symptoms of coronavirus, routes of transmission, and patient management and prevention of nosocomial infection.
From the ADA:
- (April 6): Small Business Administration: Dentists Can Apply for Both Economic Injury Disaster and Paycheck Protection Program Loans
- ADA Interim Guidance for Management of Emergency and Urgent Dental Care
- ADA Urges Dentists to Heed April 30 Interim Postponement Recommendation, Maintain Focus on Urgent and Emergency Dental Care Only
- ADA Interim Guidance for Minimizing Risk of COVID-19 Transmission
- A Video Message From ADA President Dr. Chad Gehani Regarding COVID-19
- ADA Coronavirus Resource Center for Dentists
- ADA Adds Frequently Asked Questions From Dentists to Coronavirus Resources
- What Constitutes a Dental Emergency?
- COVID-19 Coding and Billing Interim Guidance
- CARES Act Becomes Law
- To Help Protect Your Practice, Porter is Donating Disposable Nitrous Oxide Breathing Circuits to Endodontists in Need
In lieu of attending AAE20, Porter is repurposing its show budget by donating a limited supply of Silhouette disposable breathing circuits to AAE members in need.
Click here to view a special letter from Porter, and access this special offer.
- A Message From Our AAE Advantage Partner, SoFi
During this period of uncertainty and volatility, SoFi wants to assure you that they stand by their promise to help tackle your student debt.
Click here to view the full message.
Availability of Personal Protective Equipment
The CDC has not changed its guidance on single-use disposable face masks, which are regulated by FDA to be single use and should be worn once and discarded.
Page 41 of the CDC Guidelines for Infection Control in Dental Health-Care Settings has the following guidance:
- Wear a surgical mask and eye protection with solid side shields or a face shield to protect mucous membranes of the eyes, nose and mouth during procedures likely to generate splashing or spattering of blood or other body fluids;
- Change masks between patients, or during patient treatment if the mask becomes wet.
Patient Resource Center
To help communicate new practice developments around COVID-19 to patients, we've created a sample message template.
- Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Communicating With Patients
- For Patients: Infection Control
- Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 | Five Things To Know About Properly Washing Your Hands
Tapping Into Teledentistry
Teledentistry is an emerging trend for health centers and is a viable option to expanding offsite direct dental services. Health centers can use this checklist in planning for a teledentistry or virtual dental program.
- Australia Dental Organization Queensland: COVID-19 Video Updates
- Indian Endodontic Society: IES Position Statement on Dental Practice During COVID-19 Pandemic
- Journal of Dental Research: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): Emerging and Future Challenges for Dental and Oral Medicine
- New England Journal of Medicine: Transmission of 2019-nCoV Infection from an Asymptomatic Contact in Germany
State Dental Organizations
- Ohio State Dental Board: COVID-19 Advisory
- ISDS Issues Recommendations for Dental Offices Regarding COVID-19
- New York State Dental Association: Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- California Dental Association: Urgent COVID-19 Updates
- Washington State Dental Association: COVID-19 Resources for Dentists
- Tennessee Dental Association: COVID-19